Horse Hoof Cream ... For your NAILS?

21:15

I'm always looking for ways to help my nails grow and remain strong and healthy. So when I saw an article about how Khloe Kardashian keeps her nails long and strong I was tempted enough to click it. As disinterested as I am in the lives and exploits of the Kardashian clan, I'm not one to pass up on learning about new ways to help benefit nail growth.

The article (or ad, depending on how you look at it. The Kardashians get paid to advertise a lot of stuff through social media) went on to discuss how Khloe uses Barielle Nail Strengthening Cream to help keep her nails long and healthy. The product was originally designed to condition horse hooves to prevent splits and cracks when it was discovered to have the same effects on human nails. It sounded like a miracle cream, so I had to give it a try.

Of course, in addition to having nail art and nail care as hobbies, I also appreciate a good ol' bargain hunt. A quick look on Amazon told me that 1oz of Barielle cream was selling for $20.99 CAD with free shipping, and Nailpolishcanada has a .5oz squeeze-tube version of it for $10 + $4 shipping. After a bit of research, I scrapped Barielle's brand due to cost reasons, and went for European Secrets Hoofer's Choice Nail & Cuticle Cream. I easily found Hoofer's Choice in a shop near my residence, it was the same amount of product as the tub by Barielle, and was more inexpensive. I bought a 1oz container at Sally Beauty for under $5, but I've seen it at Trade Secrets as well (it's notable that Sally's had it a few dollars cheaper).

I'd have to say that it's a great moisturizer for my nails to use in addition to my cuticle oil. I like to keep it in my purse because it's great for when I'm on the go. I like to use cuticle oil pens when I'm out and about, but apparently oil pens aren't a very common device. I can't seem to use them in public without someone asking me what they are and what I'm doing with them! I wanted to be a bit more low-key, so I think that this cream is great because it looks like a normal tub of moisturizer... minus the horse logo and name. Be prepared to explain to friends what you're using on you nails, because whenever I use the product it seems to turn heads! I try to explain it to my friends as "Mane 'n Tail but for my nails."

The product itself is of a thick consistency, similar to Vaseline. I personally find that it doesn't make my skin feel very greasy which is great. However, the smell is really peculiar! It kind of reminds me of Vicks VapoRub. I hated the smell at first, but after awhile it grew on me. I also find that a little goes a long way. A tiny dollop can be spread across all ten fingers. It's recommended that this product is used once or twice a day, but depending on how dry my hands are, sometimes I'll use it more frequently. This means that one small and inexpensive tub can last me awhile. This product, in addition to cuticle oil, has helped me combat flaky nails and reoccurring splits on my thumbnails. Overall, I'd say that this product is great for anyone with dry and brittle nails in need of a little bit of TLC. That is, as long as you can handle the smell!

You Might Also Like

0 comments