Orly Nail Rescue - How I Patch My Split Nails

09:55



Cracks and rips on my nails are something that I've always been plagued with. My thumbnails are the worst culprits. I often get nasty cracks that start at the nub of my thumbnail that make their way across the nail. In the past, I used to just accept my fate. I figured the nail will just snag against various fabrics and my hair, so I may as well just cut it down to the nub, right?

As I got older and got more into nail art, I learned about a method that is used to mend cracked nails called "patching." If you don't know what this is, it's when you use nail glue and a small portion of a tea bag to create a "bandaid" for your nail. However, patching has never worked for me. The teabag patches usually only lasted a day or two. So I scoured the internet for a better way to patch my nails, and eventually stumbled upon a forum where someone suggested the Orly Nail Rescue kit. 

What it is:

Orly Nail Rescue is a set of nail glue, acrylic powder, and a buffer. Just a side note, I really hate the buffer provided and always use my Orogold one when using this set. If you reference the picture shown, you can see that the buffer provided with the set is a simple two-sided buffer. I find it difficult to discern which side of the buffer is meant for polishing the nail. I prefer to use a four-sided buffer because I find that I have more control when buffing my nails, and that the fourth side is excellent for achieving a shiny, more natural patch.

Application:

Using the Orly Nail Rescue Kit is incredibly simple. You apply the nail glue* over the crack on your nail, then dip your nail into the acrylic powder.  Let your nail dry for about 10-20 seconds, then buff your nail until the powder has a more natural finish. There's enough acrylic powder inside of the little contain for many applications. I will probably have enough powder for several years, which is plenty considering that I use this product very often!

*It's important to use brush on nail glue when using this product. If you use nail glue with a nozzle applicator, it will make the patch uneven — even after buffing.

The Result:

I find that the finished look never looks 100% natural on my nail. The area of the nail that you patch will have a semi-transparent finish, and can look (but not feel) a little bumpy depending on how well you buff it. If you buff it with the fourth side of a buffing block really well (ie the part that makes it super shiny) you can make it look much more shiny and natural. When you apply polish over your nails, it has a smooth and natural finish. You can't even tell that you have a nasty rip on your nails once the polish is applied!

I feel like this picture unfortunately doesn't do the product justice. I took this picture ages ago. Way before I realized that the fourth side of the buffing block is key to creating a more natural finish than what is pictured here.

Wear Time:


Length of wear honestly depends on so many factors —  how often you polish your nails, how frequent you wash your hands, how long you shower, if you use your nails as tools, etc. Even the genetic makeup of your nails! For me, length can vary from a couple days if I'm being especially rough and careless with my hands, to over a week. I personally add a bit more product to touch up the patch every time I change up my mani for a little bit of added protection.

What I like about this product is that it's like putting a bandaid on my nails. I can be in denial about my nail splits and don't have to cut them when patch them this way. Nail length and growth is important to me because I change my nail polish every few days. This product allows me to continue to grow my nails out instead of cutting them down and starting from scratch every time I get a crack in my nail.





You Might Also Like

1 comments