Biore Baking Soda from Influenster - Review

20:51


This month, I received the Bioré Baking Soda Pore Cleanser and Cleansing Scrub from Influenster, free for testing purposes. I am so excited to try these products, as my face has been breaking out recently. I am always on the hunt to find a new face routine, as nothing has been extremely effective on me in the past. For the past month and a half, I’ve been using Origins Zero Oil on my face, but alas, all good things must come to an end. I’ve been breaking out again, so it’s time to move on and find something that works better.

What I like about the Bioré Baking Soda products are that they are meant for combination skin, are oil-free, dermatologist tested, and have a pH balanced formula. For those thinking that baking soda is bad for your skin because it has a pH range of 9-10, Bioré’s baking soda skincare has a pH range of 6.7-7.7 which makes them safe, effective, and compatible with your skin’s pH.

The Pore Cleanser helps exfoliate your skin and makes it soft and smooth. Bioré’s product page online claims that with natural baking soda, the cleanser’s formula will leave pores 91% cleaner and instantly deep cleans dirt and oil while exfoliating dead skin cells.

The Cleansing Scrub is also supposed to be effective at removing dirt and oil, and is also gentle on skin. You can also dial up or dial down this scrub's intensity depending on how much water you add to the formula when washing your face. Bioré’s product page claims that the scrub gently cleanses pores 2.5x better versus a basic cleanser, while exfoliating without overscrubbing. It is best if used 2-3 times a week.

If you’re concerned about the product using microbeads, I had to do some digging to find out if they’re used or not. It is not shared on the product pages, and not explicitly stated when Bioré tries to clear the air with those who ask about this issue on their Facebook page. According to one comment, Bioré states that, “At Kao USA, Inc., we are committed to exclusively using ingredients with well-established safety profiles. We closely evaluate all of our products before we market them. All of our products meet the safety expectations outlined in the US Food and Drug Administration, Health Canada's Food & Drug Act, and the European Union's (EU) Cosmetic Regulations. Biore is currently using microplastic beads in a couple of personal care scrub products. In response to concerns about the environmental impact of microplastic beads, we are working toward removing these ingredients from our personal care scrub products by 2017.” In this reply, they neither confirm nor deny that this specific product line contains plastic microbeads, so I’m assuming that the Baking Soda Pore Cleanser contains plastic beads. When I used the face wash, I could definitely feel the beads when I washed my face, which prompted me to research on whether or not their products contained microplastic. Apparently some of their products do not use microplastic, whereas others apparently use wax beads. So for those who are concerned about their eco-footprint, I do not recommend purchasing this product. On the plus side, none of their beauty brands conduct or commission animal testing.

Aside from the use of plastic beads, which is saddening, I can say that I really enjoy these products. My face felt wonderfully cleansed after the first use of the cleanser, and the scrub felt equally wonderful on my skin. However, I felt that it left my skin a little dry, so I would pair these face washes with a good, unscented moisturizer. 

#BioreBakingSoda



You Might Also Like

0 comments