Born Pretty - Stamping Polish Review

13:36

Hello everyone! Born Pretty sent me more items to review for you, and one of the items I chose to review was a stamping polish from their White Night collection (Item ID#42857). The White Night set of stamping polishes has a gold, silver, black, white and red polish. I ended up choosing the red polish called Dark Amor.


Now if you know me, I hate stamping. I also hate red nail polish because it always bleeds when you apply topcoat and doesn't remove easily from the skin with acetone. So what was I thinking, right?

A couple years ago, I created a Halloween design with blood dripping from the tops of the nails. I loved the design because it had Ghostface from the Scream movies, which is one of my favourite movie series. While the design still looked really cool, the red didn't show very well over black polish. I wanted to create a similar look for a Friday the 13th mani and I knew that I needed a red that would show over the black.
Blondie's Nails
Ghostface/Scream nails from October 2016
Thankfully, I already had a stamping plate to create the blood drips. The plate doesn't actually have a blood drip design, as it was from the nail polish themed "Keep Calm and Polish On" plate. It's technically nail polish that's dripping, but I figured that the design could have multiple uses. I bought it from Born Pretty a couple years ago and never used it (because I hate stamping). Born Pretty doesn't seem to sell this particular plate anymore, so I'm unable to share the product link with you.

Image result for keep calm and polish on stamping plateThe polish was picked up and transferred by my stamper onto the nails very easily because the image on the plate is large and not very detailed. However, even though it was more opaque than the red in my Scream nails, it wasn't a vivid enough red for me.

Because this is a more vibrant and transferrable red than the one used in my last mani, I decided to build up the red to make it more opaque. If I had a clear jelly stamper, I would have just stamped over the design a couple more times to make it more opaque. I don't have a clear jelly stamper though so I had to use a detail brush and trace over the blood drips a couple times to build up the opacity.

Once I was satisfied with the blood drips over my black nails, I freehanded Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th onto my ring finger. I followed a tutorial on YouTube by JauntyJuli to create Jason's iconic hockey mask.

In the end, I LOVED how it looked! This red was perfect for creating a more noticeable blood drip over the black base. I know I didn't really use the red stamping polish for the intended purpose of stamping, but because stamping polishes are created to be more opaque than regular polish it was perfect for this look. I'm positive that the polish would look best over lighter colours like white or pink, and I can definitely see myself experimenting with it closer to Christmas or Valentines Day with a white base.


When I finished with this manicure, I realized that I wasn't done quite yet. There's this metalcore band that I like called Ice Nine Kills and their new album The Silver Scream is releasing October 5th. All of the songs on the album are based on horror movies, and one of the songs that they've release is about Friday the 13th, titled "Thank God It's Friday". I decided to write "THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY" across my nails because I'm stoked for the new album, and I'm going to tag Ice Nine Kills on Instagram and Twitter when I post my mani in hopes that they see it. I hope that they like it!

If you decide to check out Born Pretty's website, you can use my code CR10K31 to save 10% on non-discounted items. However, the majority of their products are discounted so finding something that the code works on may be difficult. The discounts tend to work out better than the code though, and they also offer free worldwide shipping with no minimum purchase. Born Pretty is also having their 8th anniversary sale October 10th-16th and they'll be having giveaways and lots of promotions, so be sure to check out the sale!


You Might Also Like

0 comments