Born Pretty Holographic Thermal Top Coat

14:35

Born Pretty Store sent me a thermal holographic top coat to review (Item ID #44195), and I'm honestly digging it. For those who aren't aware, Born Pretty has a wide variety of nail art products for low prices, and offers free worldwide shipping with no minimum purchase. This polish is currently retailing for $5.24 CAD.

What intrigued me about this product is that it's marketed as a top coat that can be used over any colour! When I first saw the product several months back, I thought that it was a thermal polish that only came in blue/black and red/black because that's what the stock photos showed.

I wish that I got to photograph some more colours other than the one that I chose to pair it with, but due to an unfortunate incident, I broke my nail on my index finger. So now my picture-hand is temporarily out of commission until it grows out a little.


The colour I chose to test this top coat with is a fun turquoise/green colour called Turned Up Turquoise by China Glaze (Ignore the stock photo on Nail Polish Canada's site if you click that product link. It is waaaaay more green/turquoise in real life than that neon-blue that they show. It also has a matte finish.). I wanted to pick a fun colour that I haven't worn on its own or have been able to fit into any designs I've done in the past.


One coat over any colour of your choosing will look fine, but if you want the thermal polish to be completely opaque over your base in cold temperatures, you'll want to use two coats. The brush is wide and the polish tends to apply a little thick and gloopy. But it finishes really well over the nail and smooths out with thick coat of glossy top coat.


And let's be honest, the results are stunning! The product turns clear when it's warm, and if your nails are long the tips may stay black. When the nails are cold, they'll turn completely black (2 coats makes for a nice opaque black finish).


Photographing thermal polishes is so difficult! Even with a bowl of hot and cold water on standby while taking my pictures, my nails kept changing colours too quickly for me to photograph. My home is warm, so therefore, it will stay my base colour or have the black tips. So how can I get my nails to stay cold? Eventually, I had the bright idea of taking pictures of my nails outside because I'm in Canada and it's winter. Oh boy. Was that the most un-fun idea I've ever had. It worked, but I didn't like it. I stood under the entryway of my home for a good 10 minutes trying to get the right angle and lighting while it was snowing/sleeting/raining a foot away from me. But if it works, it works!




You Might Also Like

0 comments